A year ago tonight, I was full of excitement, nervousness, anticipation. And I was hoping that the weather would not keep your Dad and me from getting to the hospital in the morning! We were scheduled to arrive at WakeMed at 8:30 in the morning to begin preparation for your 10:30 am delivery and Raleigh was experiencing a rare night of snow and ice.
Your Nana and Papa got into town that night so that they could join us at the hospital in the morning and be here to greet you. We all went to dinner Monday night and I told everyone in the restaurant about your imminent arrival. After we finished a really good meal, we went home and I double checked to make sure that I had everything ready. But I had been packed for the hospital for several days. Your nursery was all ready for you and all of your clothes were washed, folded, and put away. During the hours that I spent folding all of those teeny little clothes, I wondered what the little boy who would soon wear them would be like.
Your dad and I did not sleep AT ALL the night before you were born. It reminded me a lot of the anticipation that I felt as a child, tossing and turning in the bed, waiting until we could wake Mom and Dad to go downstairs and see what Santa had brought us on Christmas morning. But I had a feeling that the gift I would receive this time would outshine all of the presents I had received throughout my life.
The next morning, as your Dad pulled up to the hospital, I carefully got out of the car and started towards the door. As I took a step, down I tumbled, hands reaching out, catching myself before hitting the ground. We were right to have worried about the ice. But we were okay, and within minutes of being admitted, we were in the room waiting to be taken to surgery.
I went into the room first, and it was COLD. I listened to the music filling the room and giggled because just as a song by Lady Antebellum had finished playing, another by Lady Gaga began. The team prepared to begin the surgery and I reminded them for the second time to go get your Dad! He came into the room and sat next to me and held my hand. Within minutes, you were out. Dr. Rush lifted you up so that I could see. And I saw you for the first time. And in that moment, my life was forever changed, forever better. I laid my eyes on this perfect little baby. And you were mine, my son, my Dylan. I tried to take in every second, to store it in my head so that I would never forget the way I felt at 11 am on January 11, 2011.
![]() |
| Happy Birthday! |
And now here we are, a blink of an eye later, on the eve of your first birthday. I kept you up extra late tonight so that I could take in every possible minute of you before your official 1st Birthday. You are sleeping now, hugging your little stuffed doggie with your favorite blanket wrapped around you. And I cannot imagine my life without you. You have an infectious smile that literally EVERYONE comments on. You LOVE bananas...and pretty much everything else I give you. You jibber jabber all day long, but your only official word is "no!" And you love to throw the ball. You love animals, especially Callie. And you are just about to walk - which is going to be a whole new experience for Mommy and Daddy! I think you're going to be a musician, because you can't get enough of your toy piano and you "dance" whenever you hear music.
A day does not go by that I do not thank God for giving you to me and your Dad. You are the best thing I have ever done and every day I am excited to watch you grow and change. A year later, it is hard for me to list the ways that you have enhanced my life. All I know is that my life did not truly begin until I became your mother. I love you forever!


Beautiful, Lindsey.
ReplyDelete