Saturday, May 9, 2015

My Grandma's Legacy

We all have our own favorite memories of Grandma throughout the years.  But most of my favorites are from my childhood.  Grandma was always the place I turned to for comfort.  Whether it was to help me with my spelling words, to save me from a punishment from mom and dad, or to eat some of her delicious homemade biscuits - Grandma’s house was the place where I wanted to spend my extra time.  

I have always felt that she went out of her way to make me feel extra special.  When I was learning to play the piano, I would often call her up without saying a word and start playing a song.  Even if she had Thelma over visiting, she would stop what she was doing to listen - and then applaud my performance and brag about how amazing I was...and I was not even that good!  Every Christmas, she would buy me strawberries, even though they were out of season and were really expensive.  She would sprinkle the sweet treat with sugar because she knew they were MY favorite.  In my opinion, her pie crust was always the best part of the pies she made, so when it was time for dessert, she would hand me a special piece of crust to go with my strawberries.  

As I grew older and left for college, Grandma and I spent about a half hour each weekend talking about all of the things that were going on in my world.  No matter how busy I was, I did not miss those calls - and she always answered.  Over the years, I learned a lot about her life as a young woman on those talks -  the places she had traveled to, how her romance with Papa began, and who she was before she became my Grandma.  

I think all of us have felt a sense of pride at Grandma’s quick-wit, spunk and energy.  At parties, our friends were always impressed at how young-at-heart she seemed, and Grandma made sure she was involved in the festivities.  At Dallas’ college graduation, we were fighting over who got to be on her team for beer pong, because she had a perfect shot!  And at our wedding celebrations, she was always out on the dancefloor.  At Christmas, she was dancing right along with everyone else at Jane's and Tommy’s annual party.  Even at her 100th birthday party, she gobbled up all of her steak, enjoyed her wine and her dessert, and was full of conversation and smiles.  

Grandma - you experienced some pretty amazing things in your life: the mind-blowing advancement of technology, new friendships and adventures, and the growth of the family that you started with Papa...growth that now even includes 7 great-grandchildren.  I will be forever grateful that I have been blessed to have spent so many years with you AND to have made so many memories with you, that my children have known and loved you, and that you have been so instrumental in my life.  I will miss you forever and always.  I love you.

The flowers for Grandma's funeral
The entire family came together to celebrate Grandma's life!

No comments:

Post a Comment