Tuesday, October 18, 2011

To my baby brother...

David and Lindsey

Growing up together, the girls always outnumbered the boys.  David was the baby brother, with two older sisters who convinced him to play Barbies and My Little Pony.  David was the cutest baby...a sweet little boy who followed his sisters around agreeing to play our games and doing what we told him to do.  That is, until a house full of boys moved in down the street.  FIVE boys to be exact.

After that, it didn't take long before David decided that he did not want to play dolls with his sisters anymore.  Instead, his days were spent playing outside, getting covered in dirt, bumps and bruises. And our family also became a little bit more balanced. Adam Markwood, one of Dave's groomsmen and one of the boys who moved in down the street, became like a second brother, keeping David occupied with “boy activities.”  Two boys – two girls.

David and I never overlapped in school the way that I did with Dallas.  When I left for college, David entered high school. And when I graduated from UVA and moved to Philadelphia, Dave left for Virginia Tech.  We were always in different phases.  But finally, a day our family hoped and prayed for came…Dave graduated from Virginia Tech!!  And now, for the first time ever, David and I were in the same phase...working adults.  Dave called ME for advice – asking for help on his resume and prepping for interviews and deciding between apartments in DC.  I guess he finally thought his big sister might have some wisdom to share with him.

So for the past few years, our family has been back in a stage of unbalance.  Dallas and I both got married, which means that the boys now outnumbered the girls.  We are so lucky that our husbands have really bonded with our brother.  They send each other text messages, play on fantasy football leagues together, and genuinely enjoy each other's company.  But you know what...we're ready for some balance, we're ready for another woman!! This weekend, we welcome Ashley, our sister, to our family.  And Ashley, I know you have a LOT of sisters already, but I guess you’re just gonna have to deal with 2 more!

Because David and I have always been in different stages, I have never known any of his past girlfriends, so I really have no one to compare Ashley to.  OH, but I have heard stories!!  And I know that I speak for all of the women in my family when I say, Ashley, we feel so lucky that you are the woman David is ending up with!  You are a sassy, yet laid back woman - a perfect match for David...and we love you!!  You have been a wonderful friend to me, answering all of my questions when I was pregnant, lending me all of your maternity clothes.  And passing on all the cutest outfits to Dylan.

David – my baby brother.  I’m really proud of you.  You are a good man and a good dad.  You have built yourself a nice little family with the perfect wife and a precious little boy...and 2 cats...and 2 dogs!  

So now, we have 4 girls and 4 boys - a nice balanced family. That is of course, unless you count the two little baby boys. Now I think it’s about time that someone have a GIRL!!!!!

1 comment: